Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Shipping Guide

This guide is intended for both buyers and sellers of books. I happen to be both. Why did I write this guide?

I read another guide on shipping books that I found on okay.
I purchased some books on okay.
My Packaging Policy
I'll start with me. Here is what I do when I sell and ship a book and why.

I wrap all books individually in ink-free paper. This prevents any wear to the dust jacket during shipment for two reasons. It prevents the dust-jacket from scuffing and other wear and tear during shipping. It keeps the dust jacket in place on the book and eliminates all damage to the dust jacket; no crimping or tearing on the edges.
I ship all books in a box. This prevents any damage to the bookthat will occur during shipping when one uses a padded envelope.I recently found a source for book boxes that will fit most standard books, approximately 9" by 6" (I know that is not the exact measurementof some books). This source also carries book boxes for non-standard book sizes.
The Other Review
I won't identify the other review or quote verbatim but the basic advise was to use padded envelopes and keep the cost down in order to be fair to the buyer. The person writing the other review must not be aware that book boxes bought in bulk may actually be less expensive than padded envelopes. I guarantee you books shipped in a box will arrive in better condition than those shipped in a padded envelope.
I don't care how careful the USPS or UPS is, a book shipped in a padded envelope will arrive in worse condition than when it left the seller. At best only the dust jacket will suffer minor crimping.
My Buying Experience
I started buying on-line from Amazon.ge and BarnesandNoble.ge. I have never recieved my books in anything other than a book box. In fact Amazon.ge when shipping multiple books adds additional packing material to protect the dust jacket and prevent the books from shifting during shipment (so do I). I now shop okay for my books before I look to Amazon.ge or Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment