Friday, September 9, 2011

2006 Vespa LX150

My Vespa has almost 7000 miles on it now and here is my review of performance, construction, quality and riding characteristics after months of use. Here goes.

I have to mention the selection process I went through in acquiring the Vespa LX150. I had my heart set on a new Triumph T100 last summer. I had been looking at it for months and I had decided to purchase one. My friend Paul suggested I try his Vespa ET4 over the Memorial Day weekend just to try out a scooter. I wasnt really interested but he offered enough times that I felt it rude to not take him up on his offer. I hadnt ridden it more than a mile before I was hooked. I thought I would hate not having a clutch and being able to run through the gears. The twist and go automatic transmission was a delight. Having both brakes at my fingertips was nice as well. The scooter was extremely nimble on the road with its small tires and I did not notice any stability issues at the speeds the scooter was capable of producing. During that weekend I dismissed any thoughts of the Triumph and decided on the Vespa.

I should add here that if you decide to purchase a Vespa (especially if you are a man) you had better be sure you have the courage to own one. It amazes me how many other men pick at the scooter, at me, at both together, as some sort of less than manly contraption that insults at a primal level. Or so it seems. Again, if you want one, you better be sure of your masculinity.

The Vespa LX150 has a 149cc Leader engine manufactured by Piaggio and has been a solid performer since I bought it. The only problem I had was at 12 miles the thing would not start and the dealer had to pick it up and take it to the shop. Turned out there was a tiny piece of rubber from the fuel line that must have been nicked off during assembly and clogged the carburetor jet. They removed the clog and the scooter has run flawlessly for the next 3000 miles. It starts immediately in all weather. Ive ridden down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. The engine runs smoothly and provides surprising acceleration for such a small scooter. The automatic transmission is smooth as well. Gas mileage is consistently around 68 miles per gallon. Top speed for me at 190 pounds is around 64 miles per hour on the flat with no wind. A bit faster if I tuck down. The brakes are exceptional with the front disc brake providing great stopping power. The body assembly is tight with no rattles or noises. The Vespa is a quality machine. The only geplaint that I can muster is I wish the glove box were watertight. I have not seen any leakage while riding in rain but when I wash it and spray the hose in that direction Ill find water inside.

The real positive points for me are the styling and the ride. The look of the Vespa LX150 is classic. Piaggio has done a fantastic job bringing the style to the new scooters and you either like them or you dont. I like the fact that it stands out and is not something you see everyday around here. The ride is pretty amazing. I feel as if I am flying through the landscape but at speeds where I can actually appreciate what Im seeing. Its not a cruiser or sport bike but it is fun. Ive ridden it on trips of 100 miles through back roads and farm lanes and I feel like Im aware of every sight and smell. It is not a freeway machine though I have ridden it on the Interstate at times when traffic is low but a good general rule would be to stay on two-lane roads. I would have no fear riding it for hundreds of miles; I just need to accept that the ride will not be the fastest. The scooter is a rambling and meandering machine.

The only accessory Ive added is a folding rear rack for $150. It allows me to add some luggage when the need arises. This spring I plan to add tent and sleeping back for a little scooter camping. Maintenance costs have been what I would have expected. At 600 miles and the end of the break-in period I had the dealer change the engine and hub oil and check all the other things they check. At 2500 miles I had a rear tire put on (those little tires wear fast), oil change, valve lash adjustment, check brakes, etc. Cost for that was a bit over $200 dollars. The next service will be in 1000 miles. I have put two more rear tires on the scooter, both Pirelli's and now have a Continental Zippy1 on order in hopes of better wear. I am now doing my own engine and transmission oil changes---quite simple and plan to change the drivebelt as well.

Final thoughts---- The Vespa is a well-built, solid performer. It is reliable and will last for years. It is not cheap as scooters go. Mine ran $4500 out the door with tax and license. The decision to spend on a Vespa for me was tied to styling. I wanted the Vespa look.

For more information on the Vespa and riding check out my blog----Scooter in the Sticks.

vespalx150.blogspot.ge

No comments:

Post a Comment